Operating a successful laundromat boils down to two main factors: attracting customers and reducing operating costs. While successful laundromat businesses leverage location, demographics, value-added services, and marketing to help win customers, commercial washers and dryers are the ultimate key to success. In order to attract customers and maximize profitability, it’s critical to select the right industrial laundry equipment for your laundromat.
Choosing the Best Coin Washers and Dryers to Attract Laundromat Customers
With many businesses competing for the same customers, successful laundromats stand out by catering to customers’ needs. Laundromats that provide an enjoyable atmosphere and enable customers to clean their laundry quickly often have the most success. In order to choose the best coin washers and dryers to attract customers to your laundromat, consider the following:
- Appearance - Customers judge your laundromat on appearance, and your washers and dryers are a major part of that. Even if it works well, equipment that looks worn or outdated will be perceived poorly by potential customers. On the other hand, modern and attractive commercial washers and dryers will help your entire business look more contemporary and inviting. Customers prefer to spend time at laundromats that feel welcoming, and are often willing to pay higher prices there too.
- Speed - Most customers want to clean their laundry as quickly as possible. Efficient commercial laundry equipment can process loads faster, attracting customers while reducing wait times. Top-rated commercial washing machines clean loads faster and remove more water to reduce dry times. Commercial dryers with automatic sensing cycles prevent unnecessary over-drying while reversing drums prevent clumping to dry bulky items faster. When customers can wash and dry their loads faster, you’ll increase customer satisfaction and serve more customers with the same amount of equipment.
- Load Capacity - With the right mix of standard- and high-capacity equipment, you can better serve your customer base and maximize throughput. To choose the optimal equipment mix, you’ll need to balance your customer demographics with your available floor space. Some customers prefer high-capacity machines to launder bedding or family-sized loads, while others prefer standard-capacity machines for smaller loads separated by color or fabric. Having the right mix enables you to better serve your customers and minimize wait times. If you’re not sure what capacity you need, WSD’s laundromat experts can help you determine the right equipment mix.
- Payment Options - Some customers prefer old-fashioned coin operation, while many younger clientele would rather pay with credit/debit cards or mobile apps. Give your customers choices and gain an advantage over your competitors by offering multiple payment options. Some commercial washers and dryers even feature variable pricing options so you can boost profitability during peak periods and offer promotional pricing during slow periods.
- User-Friendliness - Laundromat equipment needs to be easy to operate in order to keep customers coming back. Simple controls with multiple language options, wide doors, and front-mounted soap dispensers help reduce user frustrations and improve the overall customer experience.
With the right commercial washers and dryers, your laundromat will stand out from competitors and attract a loyal customer base.
Choosing the Best Coin Washers and Dryers to Increase Laundromat Profitability
Even with a steady stream of customers, laundromat operators need to manage overhead costs in order to be profitable. Your laundry equipment directly impacts operating expenses; the right laundromat equipment will reduce utility and maintenance expenses and increase your bottom line. In order to choose the best coin washers and dryers to increase your laundromat’s profitability, consider the following:
- Efficiency - Utility costs are typically the highest expense impacting a laundromat’s bottom line. Equipping your laundromat with high-efficiency washers and dryers that use less water, gas, and/or electricity will help lower your utility bills, improving profitability. Efficient equipment is also good for business since going “Green” can help you appeal to eco-conscious customers.
- Maintenance Requirements - Commercial washers and dryers are complex pieces of machinery that require regular maintenance and upkeep. However, some brands and models are easier to maintain than others. Look for features that simplify maintenance, like modular designs and accessible vent cleanouts, to keep your equipment running like-new with minimal effort.
- Quality & Durability - With the right laundry equipment, you can avoid costly repairs and frustrating equipment downtime. Choose high-quality machines that are designed and proven to withstand constant use and abuse. Quality tests and manufacturer warranties will help you know commercial washers and dryers are built to last. Equipment materials also have a major impact on durability, with stainless steel options being the best. Laundry equipment that is made in the USA can provide added peace of mind.
- Size and Layout Options - Running a business is hard enough - you shouldn’t have to re-engineer door openings to accommodate new laundry equipment. When possible, opt for laundry equipment that fits through your laundromat’s existing doorways. If demand is higher than your current equipment can accommodate, choosing stackable models will enable you to fit more washers and dryers in the same space, maximizing revenue with your existing footprint.
- Emergency Safety Features - All laundromat equipment should have an emergency stop button - just in case. Consider models that also come with remote monitoring and emergency controls so you can keep an eye on your investment, no matter where you are.
- Equipment Warranties and Support - Even with high quality equipment and proper maintenance, your laundry equipment will eventually require professional service. Look for products with multi-year warranties to help reduce your out-of-pocket expense when that time does come. Commercial laundry equipment distributors with a local presence and professional on site repair services are ideal because they can quickly diagnose issues and get your equipment up and running fast. Some suppliers even offer additional services, such as laundromat planning and design and ongoing training seminars to help operators optimize their businesses.
With high-quality, efficient laundry equipment, you can reduce your laundromat’s overhead costs and keep more money in your pocket.
Help Choosing Commercial Laundry Equipment for Your Laundromat
Need help choosing the right commercial laundry equipment for your laundromat? Western State Design can help. For over 40 years, WSD has been a leading provider of laundromat solutions, services, and equipment, helping hundreds of laundromat business owners achieve success.
Contact one of our laundry experts today to find out how we can help you too.